Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Frogging and re-knitting...that's the way it goes!

Recently I was inspired to get Fitted Knits, a great book with BEAUTIFUL sweater patterns. I instantly fell in love with the yellow cardigan...

this picture isn't doing it justice, the top is sorta like this (minus the puffy sleeves)...


So, i started knitting it after CAREFULLY measuring myself in all possible spots, doing the math, knitting all of the swatches (both in ribbing and in ss) on multiple needle sizes then began the sweater. I got his far...

back view



side view


before i realized this sweater was just too small. I was stretching it, pulling on it, but still there was no way i was going to get the buttons to button. I really refused to believe it wouldn't fit. I had been trying it on throughout the process and I kept tricking myself, saying i could add more to the button hole border, or knit just a few more rows of ribbing, but in the end, as these pictures attest, it was just too small! I photographed my progress, then spent a sad hour ripping out my work, balling it back up and recalculating. The pattern is well-written and SO EASY but I needed to jump up a needle size to get the right fit. Woe is me...

After an evening of rest, I jumped back in sunday morning and am well on my way to finishing the sweater now. I have the body and one arm complete. Once I get the front button panels on and the other sleeve, I will post pics of before and after blocking.
Anyone out there looking for sweater patterns with SHAPE, go check out this book. I have purchased yarn for 4 other sweaters in the book. My summer knitting!

In dog news, Charlie got a pool. We don't have a real pool, so last weekend I got him a plastic one and he was so happy. The water dog was right at home in the kiddie pool. This was his first taste of the wet life and he was splashing around and jumping in and out all afternoon. Our neighbors have invited him over to swim, hopefully the weather will warm up so we can take them up on the offer.


Next post: photos of socks and other final projects by the spring 2007 knitting class at Pali High!

No comments: