Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sidebar...Malibu Lagoon Field Trip

Since my REAL job is Marine Biology teacher, I want to include a tidbit from my week that did not (for once) include yarn. This week I took a big group of my students to the Malibu Lagoon. It is a local estuary, one of the few remaining in Southern California. The weather was unbelievable, 80's in mid-October. The volunteer scientists taught the kids a ton of information, and it is really cool that this estuary is just down the street from our school, but none of the kids have evern been there. I am glad we had the opportunity to get out of the classroom and get our feet wet (literally) and learn about a local ecosystem. Lots more trips to come!

...the birds and the surfers off in the distance

Here is one of the groups that came along. These guys spent the first part of the morning cleaning up the beach and the estuary, earning community service hours in the process. Way to go, guys!

we played some team-building games while waiting for the scientists to set up their equipment...
the human knot

group chair

here is Jennifer testing the salt content of the lagoon using silver nitrate percipitate. very scientific!

there were dissecting scopes for us to use and get a closer look at the creatures in the lagoon!

learning about the fish of the lagoon


This week I taught the first of two classes on X-mas Stockings. We cast on our stitches, and everyone was happily knitting in the round when class was finished. Next week: we turn the heel and head for the toe. I'll post pics from Thursday's class.

No comments: